Fellowships & Grants
Conference Travel Grant
Guiding Principle: Presenting their research at academic conferences enhances the graduate students' academic program and future professional prospects. To support this participation, theOffice of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships will award travel grants to defray thecost of attendance to some graduate students who have been invited to present papers atconferences.
Purpose: Travel grants for GW graduate students are available for those students invited to present papers at a national or international conference related to their academic area or dissertationresearch. The grants are competitive and range between $300 and $800. They are not intended tocover the entire cost of transportation, hotel, etc. and will not cover trips for presentation of posters.
1) Deadline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis but must be received at least onemonth before the travel will take place.
2) Awards will not be made to more than one student per conference.
3) Conferences must be held outside of the Washington Metropolitan Area.
4) A goal of the program is to award funding to students throughout the following five schools only:
- Columbia School of Arts and Sciences (All programs except Biological Sciences; those students mustapply for Travel Grants through their department)
- Elliott School of International Affairs
- Graduate School of Education and Human Development
- School of Engineering and Applied Science
- School of Business
5) Funds are limited. A student in a department whose students have not received awardsthis year, or in past years, will be given preference over a student in a department whosestudents have received funds from this program.
6) Preference will be given to students attending professional conferences over thoseattending student conferences.
7) The conferences must be directly related to the student's research and/or academicprogram.
8) Only one award will be made per student during the student's entire degree program.
9) For International Students: This award is a grant that may be subject to withholding,depending on the tax treaty with your home country.
10) Awarded grants will be processed only after proof of attendance and participationas a presenter are received. Original receipts are required.
Instructions: Completed application materials along with required documents should be submittedto the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships, 2121 Eye Street, NW, RiceHall 302, Washington, DC 20052, Fax: (202) 994-8845.
For an application please visit the Office
of Graduate Student Assistantships & Fellowships.