Fellowships & Grants
Language Flagship Fellowships
The Language Flagship offers a limited number of fellowships to qualified American students interested in receiving financial support to participate in one of the Flagship Programs in Arabic, Korean, Mandarin, and Persian.
To be eligible for a Flagship Fellowship, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- U.S. citizenship at the time of application.
- Minimum proficiency of Advanced Low (as defined by ACTFL) or level 2 (as defined by ILR) in the appropriate foreign language.
- Minimum proficiency of Superior (as defined by ACTFL) or level 3 (as defined by ILR) in all modalities of English.
- Completed undergraduate degree by the time the Flagship Program and Fellowship funding period begins.
- Enrollment in a Master's degree granting Flagship Program for the duration of the Flagship Fellowship funding period.
- Not employed by the U.S. government.
Note: Past recipients of Boren Scholarships or Fellowships are eligible and encouraged to apply for The Language Flagship Fellowships.
Graduate Flagship Programs have two components: one domestic and one overseas. The first year involves intensive language study at a domestic Flagship Institution. The second year is spent in an immersion program overseas, which is designed and managed by the domestic Flagship Institutions. All Flagship Fellows who participate in the domestic component are expected to continue with the overseas component. Provided program requirements are met, the two-year program culminates in a Master's degree.
Flagship Fellowships are awards of up to two years that support academic expenses directly associated with participation in a Flagship Program, including tuition, a modest stipend for living expenses, and support for travel costs and health insurance coverage. The living stipend is based on reasonable costs associated with the location(s) of each Flagship Program. Total Flagship Fellowship amounts will vary by individual depending upon the specific composition and duration of the program. Fellowship award amounts cannot include additional support for dependents.
Flagship Fellowship award recipients are expected to devote full-time effort in the Flagship Program in which they are enrolled. Therefore, Flagship Fellows may not pursue requirements of other degree programs while receiving Flagship Fellowship support, nor may Flagship Fellowships be combined with other sources of funding that would require Fellows to devote less than full-time effort in The Language Flagship.
For more information, please see the Boren Program's website here.