Image of the Tempietto in Kogan Plaza during cherry blossom season

Apply for Financial Assistance

Applying for assistance at The George Washington University is an important step in preparing for undergraduate and graduate study.

Learn how to apply for Undergraduate Financial Assistance

How to Apply for Assistance

GW Republicans

GW encourages applicants to the University to apply for financial aid. In order to be considered, you must submit the CSS PROFILE and the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Filing these forms by the deadline dates will enable us to consider you for all types of need-based aid. GW's Office of Student Financial Assistance reviews the family financial circumstances of each admitted student and determines your financial need based on information supplied by the PROFILE and FAFSA.

In addition to these forms other documents are required to verify your eligibility. The most common are listed below but note that additional documentation may be requested at a later date.

In an effort to provide families with timely information about their eligibility for financial aid, the Office of Student Financial Assistance will provide incoming Freshman and Transfer students with an estimated financial aid package based on either previous year data (Early Decision I  and II only) or current year data from the CSS Profile and FAFSA prior to the review of current year verification documents (tax returns, W-2 statements etc.).

The information provided on this page is intended solely for new applicants. Currently enrolled GW students should click here for information on applying for the 2012-2013 academic year.


Note on tax filing years requested

2012-2013 Academic Year applicants:

  • Prior Year=2010
  • Current Year=2011

Application Steps

If you have not yet filed your current year taxes (see definitions above), you can estimate your income on the CSS Profile and FAFSA by using year-to-date pay stubs and bank statements and comparing data with last year’s federal taxes. Please be as accurate as possible; variances with finalized information can result in an adjusted award.

    • First time applicants must register on the site before completing the actual application.
    • For assistance, e-mail CSS at or call 305-829-9793.
    • File your FAFSA online at designating GW to receive your information. Use our federal school code, 001444.
    • For assistance call 1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3242).
  • Early Decision Applicants
    • If you are an Early Decision (ED) applicant, you must submit the Early Decision Financial Aid Applications Part I and II  in addition to the PROFILE and FAFSA
    • Early Decision applicants are given the same consideration for financial aid as all applicants.

All estimated aid packages need to be confirmed before funds will be disbursed to your account.

Confirming Your Need-Based Award

You are required to submit the following documents directly to the Office of Student Financial Assistance to confirm the award.

  • Signed copy of applicant’s federal tax return including all schedules and W-2 statements and, if married or to be married, those of spouse. Signed copy of parent’s federal tax return including all schedules and W-2 statements.
  • Tax returns must be for the "current year" e.g.  most recent calendar year prior to the academic year of enrollment (2011 returns for enrollment during the 2012-2013 academic year). Note that Early Decision candidates are asked to send prior year taxes in order for our office to provide an early estimated package.
  • Estimated or draft copies of tax returns are not accepted. You must submit signed copies of the actual tax return and all schedules that were sent to the IRS. The IRS E-file confirmation is not acceptable. Please be aware that if you have an extension from the IRS for your taxes, we will be unable to finalize an award until we receive the final taxes. We are unable to make exceptions to this requirement, regardless of whether the IRS grants an extension.
  • The 2012-2013 Verification Worksheet must be submitted by May 1.
  • If the applicant and/or parent did not file a tax form, you must complete the "Certification that Tax Return Was/Is Not Required To Be Filed for the 2011 Tax Year" form.
  • If the applicant reported on the Profile or FAFSA that they will have a sibling, spouse, or independent child in college, you must submit the "Verification of Family Member Enrollment" form. This form must be sent to the financial aid office at the family member's institution for verification.
  • If the applicant will have a sibling enrolled at GW as a full-time undergraduate in 2012-2013, you may apply for the GW Family Grant by submitting the “GW Family Grant Application.”
  • Non-U.S. citizens who wish to apply for federal aid must provide documentation of permanent resident (immigrant) or refugee status.
  • Social Security recipients must submit all 1099-SS forms for all family members receiving benefits.

Additional Application Information

  • Please include the applicant’s name, social security number or GWID number and application status (early decision I, early decision II, regular decision or transfer) on all submitted documents.
  • Be sure to meet all deadlines in order to receive full financial aid consideration. Keep in mind that deadlines differ depending on your application status.
  • During processing, additional documentation may be required. The Office of Student Financial Assistance will inform you if additional items are needed.
  • Fax is our preferred method of delivery for documentation.  The Office of  Student Financial Assistance has implemented a secure fax delivery system which reduces paper use and streamlines the entry of forms into the student's electronic file.  Our fax number is 202-994-0906.  Please include the student's name, social security number or GWid on all documents submitted to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Quick Links