Expectations During an Incident
Hazardous Materials >>
- If an incident occurs, immediately move away from the incident scene and help keep others away.
- Shelter-in-place in an upwind, unaffected building. Comply with the shelter-in-place guidance. http://www.gwu.edu/~response/expectations/sheltering_in_place.cfm
- Report the incident to GW at 202-994-6111 in Foggy Bottom, 202-242-6111 in Mount Vernon , or 911 elsewhere – quickly and report the nature and location of the incident as soon as possible. If possible, without putting yourself in danger, describe what occurred, if you smell an odor, see a spill or know the substance.
- If you notice a placard (sign) from a spill/exposure, please inform the police dispatcher of the color of the placard, the number that appears on it and if you see a flame symbol.
- If possible, cover nose and mouth with a cloth while leaving the area.
- Do not walk into or touch any of the spilled substance. Try not to inhale gases, fumes, or smoke.
- Stay away from contaminated areas, and even contaminated people, until the hazardous material is identified and the incident is over.
- If asked to evacuate, comply with the guidance concerning evacuations http://www.gwu.edu/~response/expectations/evacuations.cfm.
BACK: Medical Emergency /// NEXT: On
a Personal Level >>
Table of Contents