Alumni Events Recap
Several events drew GW alumni community members together in places such as New York City, a D.C. area golf course, and more:
• Alumni in Washington met with students during the annual Coffee with Experience program to discuss practice areas and share wisdom.
• Law alumni hosted a networking happy hour with the South Asian Law Student Association and the Asian/Pacific American Law Student Association.
• New York alumni gathered (despite the snowstorm) for a reception during the New York State Bar Annual Meeting.
• Students and alumni listened to a talk on legal and business challenges facing professional sports by Ahmad Nassar, vice president of business and legal affairs for the NFL Players Association. After the talk, the group attended a Washington Wizards game.
• More than 150 alumni and friends gathered at the annual GW Law Government Procurement Luncheon.
• Alumni in Ann Arbor, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Denver, Houston, New York, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami, and Boston enjoyed networking receptions with admitted students
• Alumni in D.C. enjoyed a reception and the annual Law Revue show.
• The Government Contracts Alumni Interest Group hosted the annual Post-Performance Exam Happy Hour for Government Procurement Law Program students and alumni.
• Seventeen teams of alumni, faculty, and students played in our annual Golf Outing. Steven Tasher, JD '73, won the putting contest, Patrick Sheridan, JD '10, made the longest drive, and Associate Dean Susan Karamanian prevailed in the closest to the pin contest. The winning team included Kieran Tuckley, LLM '08, JD '11, William Nelson, LLM '08, Patrick Brown, and Dan Chwastyk.
• During Commencement Weekend, more than a dozen alumni joined the Stockton Guard, which recognizes alumni who graduated 40 or more years ago from the Law School. Several of our Stockton Guard members led the processional during the Law Diploma Ceremony.
• The Latino Law Alumni Association hosted a relaunch happy hour.
New York City
Professor Greg Maggs shares updates from the Law School with Matt Algeri, JD '03.
Craig Schiller, JD '75, and Andy Manoff, JD '04, enjoy an alumni reception in New York City.
Jeff Schweon, JD '89, and Margarita (Ari) Brose, JD '89, share a laugh at Rue 57 in New York. .
Chris Higgins, JD '08, and Professor Spencer Overton practice their putting before the golf outing.
Jeremiah Clark, Lindsay Tasher, JD '05, and Steven Tasher, JD '73, watch Steven Schooner, LLM '89, Nash & Cibinic Professor of Government Procurement Law and co-director of the Government Procurement Law program, putt.
Government Procurement Luncheon
Alumni and friends enjoy the annual GW Law Government Procurement Luncheon.
Professor Emeritus Ralph C. Nash Jr. addresses alumni and friends at the annual GW Law Government Procurement Luncheon.
Alumni Weekend 2011 • Sept. 15-17
Visit www.law.gwu.edu/alumniweekend2011 to:
• View the complete schedule of events
• See who is attending
For a complete schedule, visit www.law.gwu.edu/alumniweekend2011.
Stockton Guard Luncheon
Alumni are invited to join Dean Paul Schiff Berman and Convener and Professor Emeritus Teresa Schwartz, JD '71, as we honor the Stockton Guard celebrating 40 years or more since their graduation. This year, alumni who graduated in 1971 or earlier will be inducted.
Join fellow alumni and faculty for a casual outdoor BBQ catered by Red, Hot, and Blue and sample a variety of brews.
Welcome Back Class Cocktail Parties
Join your class committee members and faculty as they host welcome-back cocktail parties at popular local venues. Drinks and hors d'oeuvres will be served. Register on or before August 15 and your admission is free.
Golfing at General's Ridge
Whether you create your own foursome or we match you with other alumni, you'll enjoy the beautiful greens, a game of shotgun, and lunch at General's Ridge.
D.C. Historic Landmarks Bus Tour
Has it been a while since you've explored D.C.? Join your fellow alumni as we tour the city's most famous locations.
Ice Cream Social
Satisfy your sweet tooth! Join law alumni and their families for a variety of tasty Ben & Jerry's ice creams.
Meet and Greet Dessert Reception with Dean Paul Schiff Berman
Dean Berman will provide an overview of the Law School in 2011. You'll also have the opportunity to meet him and welcome him to the GW Law community during the reception immediately following his address.
Class Dinner & Alumni Awards Presentation at the National Portrait Gallery and Smithsonian American Art Museum
Cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, and live music surrounded by amazing art and architecture are just the beginning of this special evening at the National Portrait Gallery and Smithsonian American Art Museum. Celebrate your reunion year with friends both old and new during this capstone Alumni Weekend event.
Airfare and Car Rentals
Thanks to our special arrangements with American Airlines, you can receive a 5 percent discount on air travel. For reservations, call 1-800-433-1790 or book online at www.aa.com/group. The authorization code is A4691AR (without the preceding "A" if booked online).
For the best available rates with Avis, use discount code D757839.
All of the preferred hotels are in close proximity to GW Law for your convenience. Please be sure to mention the George Washington University Law School when booking to receive the discount. Reserved rooms and special rates are guaranteed until the dates listed on a first come, first served basis only, so please book in advance to take advantage of these offers.
The Jefferson Hotel
1200 16th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036
Rate: $325 (Book by Aug. 17)
One Washington Circle Hotel
One Washington Circle, N.W.
Washington, DC 20037
Rate: $149 (Book by Aug. 16)
The River Inn
924 25th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20037
Rate: $135 (Aug. 1)
The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown
3100 South Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007
Rate: $399 (Book by Aug. 19)
Save the date for the following GW Law Alumni events:
Tues., Aug. 2, 2011 – Alumni Reception at the National Bar Association Annual Convention, Baltimore
Fri., Aug. 5, 2011 – Alumni Reception at the American Bar Association Annual Meeting, Toronto
Thurs., Sept. 1, 2011 – Alumni reception at the Hispanic National Bar Annual Convention, Dallas
TBA – Alumni receptions in New York, San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, and Miami
Thurs., Sept. 15 through Sat., Sept. 17, 2011 – Alumni Weekend 2011 celebrating the classes of 1961, 1966, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001, and 2006
Visit the GW Law Alumni website at www.law.gwu.edu/Alumni for details on these and other law alumni events around the globe.