Alpha-Eta's Founding at Columbian University
Kappa Sigma has existed at The George Washington University since 1892, when the school was known as the Columbian University. As the 45th chapter of the fraternity, Alpha-Eta has played an important role in Kappa Sigma history. For nearly a century our chapter served as the center of a large network of Kappa Sigmas living in Washington and working in the institutions of our nation’s capital.
In the early 1990s Alpha-Eta was briefly closed but her recolonization was integral to ushering in new era of Greek Life at GWU. Our founding fathers took a stand against the rampant hazing and misconduct that had evaporated most of the membership of other fraternities on campus. Over the past fifteen years the university’s Greek scene has flourished with membership, houses, and productive, healthy chapters on the rise. Today Kappa Sigma continues to be a leader in Foggy Bottom.
The Alpha-Eta Chapter Today and Notable Alumni
Today, the Alpha-Eta of Kappa Sigma is an active and thriving chapter at the George Washington University. We have over thirty active brothers in this fraternity from all-across the country. Our Brothers and Pledges are active in dozens of student organizations on campus and hold jobs and internships throughout Washington, DC. In the Fal of 2009 we more than doubled our chapter size. And we have no plans on slowing down anytime soon!
Notable alumni from our chapter include Roy C. Osgood, Kappa Sigma Man of the Year in 1943; Brian O’Dwyer who held the highest office of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity; and Bart Kogan for whom GWU’s Kogan Plaza is named. Brothers Kogan and O’Dwyer continue to take an active interest in the chapter.