Institute for Public Diplomacy and Global Communication
New Approaches to U.S. Global Outreach:
Smart Power on the Front Lines of Public Diplomacy and
Presented in Association with the GW Public Affairs Project and the Public Diplomacy Council
October 5, 2009
- "Mapping Smart Power in Multi-stakeholder Public Diplomacy / Strategic Communication"
Bruce Gregory, Professor, George Washington University
Panel 1: Engaging Global Publics in the Obama Era — Can the Interagency Respond?
- Rosa Brooks – Senior Advisor, Undersecretary of Defense for Policy
- John Carman – Director, Strategic Communication, SOCOM
- Daniel Silverberg – Counsel, House Foreign Affairs Committee
- Daniel Sreebny – Director, Global Engagement Center, Dept. of State
- Kristin Lord – Center for a New American Security (Moderator)
Panel 2: Ground Truth — How Civilian and Military Communicators Shape the Opinion Landscape
- Ciara Knudson – Office of Post-Conflict Stabilization and Reconstruction, Dept. of State
- Maj. Edward Fisher – PSYOP Operations Officer, SOCOM
- Aaron Snipe – Foreign Service Officer, State Department, former Iraq PRT PD Officer
- Mark Swayne – Pentagon, AFRICOM Liaison Office
- Sean Aday – Institute for Public Diplomacy and Global Communication, (Moderator)
The two panels took a broad, strategic look at what the issues are in public diplomacy and strategic communication. The conference addressed such critical questions as: Is there a national strategy for America's outreach to the world? And, how can the military and State Department better work together in a world where the line between soldiers and diplomats is increasingly blurry?
The first panel addressed these and other questions from a strategic and policy perspective, while the second featured panelists with recent experience implementing these policies on the ground in war zones like Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as critical non-combat areas.
Watch Pentagon senior advisor Rosa Brooks discuss the Obama administration's approach to U.S. strategic communication and public diplomacy.
Watch House Foreign Affairs Committee counsel Dan Silverberg discuss the expansion of DoD's strategic communication programs.