Skip Navigation

University Bulletin: Undergraduate Programs The George Washington University  



Students enrolled in the University are required to conform to the following regulations and to comply with the requirements and regulations of the school in which they are registered. Students who withdraw or are suspended, or who, for any other reason, are not registered at the University for one semester or more, may reapply and, if readmitted, continue their program only under the regulations and requirements in force at the time of return.

If a student knowingly makes a false statement or conceals material information on an application for admission or any other University document, the student’s registration may be canceled. If such falsification is discovered after the student has matriculated at the University, the student may be subject to dismissal from the University. Such a student will be ineligible (except by special action of the faculty) for subsequent registration in the University.


Information on registration procedures is stated on the Registrar’s Office website and in the Schedule of Classes, which is available in advance of each semester.

Registration in courses is open only to those persons formally admitted to the University by the appropriate admitting office and to continuing students in good standing.

Students may not register concurrently in this University and another institution without the prior permission of the dean of the school in which they are registered in this University. With the exception of students enrolled in a joint degree program, registration in more than one school of the University requires the written permission of the deans concerned, prior to registration. Registration is not complete until all financial obligations have been met. Individuals without a valid registration may not attend class or earn any course credit.

Eligibility for Registration—Registration for the following categories of on-campus students is held on the days of registration indicated in the Schedule of Classes. A student who is suspended or whose record is encumbered for any reason is not eligible to register. Registration in a given course may be denied to nondegree students by the Office of Non-Degree Students when space is needed for degree candidates.

New Student—Upon receipt of a letter of admission, the new student is eligible for registration on the stated days of registration. Registration for new students is typically conducted on stated days as part of the Colonial Inauguration orientation program.

Readmitted Student—A student previously registered in the University who was not registered during the preceding semester must apply for and be granted readmission by the appropriate admitting office before being eligible for registration.

Continuing Student—A student registered on campus in the immediately preceding semester or the summer session preceding the fall semester is eligible to register assuming good standing and enrollment in a continuing program.

Completion of Registration—Registration is not complete until financial obligations have been fulfilled. Students who do not complete their financial obligations in a timely manner may have their registration canceled and will not be permitted to attend class.

Registration for Consortium Courses—Degree students interested in taking courses at any of the other institutions in the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area, Inc., should consult the program announcements of the other institutions. Consortium registration forms and instructions may be picked up in the Office of the Registrar. In order to participate in the Consortium program, students must obtain the approval of an advisor and should ascertain from the department of the institution where the course is taught whether they are eligible for the course and whether there is space in the class. Specific inquiries should be addressed to the Registrar’s Office. Detailed information concerning Consortium policy and procedures is printed in the Schedule of Classesand is available on the Registrar’s Office website.

Adding and Dropping Courses

During the registration period (before the end of the second week of classes) students may add or drop courses using GWeb. After the second week of classes, students who wish to add or drop a course must complete a Registration Transaction Form and submit the form to the office of their dean; forms are available on line, at deans’ offices, and in the Office of the Registrar. Adding a course after the second week requires a signature of the instructor or other authorized member of the department.

A course dropped during the first four weeks of classes will not appear on the student’s transcript. A course dropped after the fourth week but before the end of the eighth week will be assigned a notation of W (Authorized Withdrawal).

The deadline for dropping a course without academic penalty is the end of the eighth week of classes in the fall and spring semesters. After the end of the eighth week of classes, dropping a course without academic penalty is only possible after the student presents a petition to the dean and receives written permission.

All charges for courses from which the student withdraws are subject to the refund policy listed under Fees and Financial Regulations in this Bulletin. Failure to withdraw by these procedures can result in an extended financial obligation and the recording of a grade of F (Failure) or a notation of Z (Unauthorized Withdrawal).

Changes in Program of Study

Changes Within a School—A student may not substitute one course for another within an established program of study or change status from credit to audit or from audit to credit without the approval of the dean of the school in which he or she is registered. Change from one major field to another within the same school may be made with the approval of the dean.

Transfer Within the University—Application for transfer to another school must be made to the appropriate admitting office on the form provided by the office concerned. Students transferring within the University are advised to study carefully the requirements listed below under Graduation Requirements and to note that unless otherwise specified, in all undergraduate divisions, 30 credit hours, including at least 12 credit hours in the major field, must be completed while registered in the school from which the degree is sought. Upon transfer the student should consult the dean concerned and understand clearly the requirements that must be fulfilled. A maximum of 45 credit hours earned through the Office of Non-Degree Students may be applied toward a bachelor’s degree in the degree-granting schools of the University.


Grades are made available to students through the Office of the Registrar after the close of each semester. The following grading system is used: A, Excellent; B, Good; C, Satisfactory; D, Low Pass; F, Fail; other grades that may be assigned are A, B+, B, C+, C, D+, and D. Symbols that may appear include AU, Audit; I, Incomplete; IPG, In Progress; W, Authorized Withdrawal; Z, Unauthorized Withdrawal; P, Pass; NP, No Pass; R, Need to Repeat Course.

Except for courses that specifically state that repetition for credit is permitted, a candidate for a degree at this University may not repeat a course in which a grade of D− or better was received, unless required to do so by the department concerned. A written statement, indicating that the student is required to repeat the course, must be submitted to the student’s dean by the appropriate department chair.

The symbol of Z is assigned when students are registered for a course that they have not attended or have attended only briefly, and in which they have done no graded work. At the end of the academic year, students’ records are reviewed; if there is more than one Z per semester, a student’s record will be encumbered until released by the student’s advisor or academic dean. The symbol of Z is not a grade but an administrative notation.

Incompletes—The symbol I (Incomplete) indicates that a satisfactory explanation has been given the instructor for the student’s inability to complete the required course work during the semester of enrollment. At the option of the instructor, the symbol I may be recorded if a student, for reasons beyond the student’s control, is unable to complete the work of the course, and if the instructor is informed of, and approves, such reasons before the date when grades must be reported. This symbol may be used only if the student’s prior performance and class attendance in the course have been satisfactory. Any failure to complete the work of a course that is not satisfactorily explained to the instructor before the date when grades must be turned in will be graded F, Failure. If acceptable reasons are later presented to the instructor, that instructor may initiate an appropriate grade change, which in all cases will include the symbol I. The course work must be completed within the designated time period agreed upon by the instructor and student, but (except in the School of Business) no more than one calendar year from the end of the semester in which the course was taken. In the School of Business, the symbol I must be changed by a date agreed on by the instructor and the student, but no later than the last day of the examination period for the fall or spring semester immediately following the semester or summer session in which the symbol I is assigned. All students who receive an Incomplete must maintain active student status during the subsequent semester(s) in which course work is being completed. If not registered in other classes during this period, the student must register for Continuous Enrollment status.

When work for the course is completed, the instructor will complete a grade change form and turn it in to the Office of the Registrar. The grade earned will be indicated in the form of I, followed by the grade. The indication of I cannot be removed and remains on the student’s permanent academic record even after the course has been successfully completed. If work for the course is not completed within the designated time, the grade will be automatically converted to a grade of IF, Incomplete/Failure, 0 quality points, and the grade-point average and academic standing recalculated.

The Grade-Point Average—Scholarship is computed in terms of the grade-point average, obtained by dividing the number of quality points by the number of credit hours for which the student has registered, both based on his or her record in this University. The grade-point average is computed as follows: A, 4.0; A, 3.7; B+, 3.3; B, 3.0; B, 2.7; C+, 2.3; C, 2.0; C, 1.7; D+, 1.3; D, 1.0; D, .7; F, 0, for each credit hour for which the student has registered as a degree-seeking student. Although credit value for a course in which a grade of F is earned appears on the transcript for the purpose of calculating the grade-point average, no academic credit is awarded. In the case of a student who is allowed to repeat a course, the first grade received remains on the student’s record and is included in the grade-point average. Courses marked AU, CR, I, IPG, P, NP, R, W, or Z are not considered in determining the average, except that courses marked I will be considered when a final grade is recorded. With the exception of Consortium courses, grades in courses taken at other institutions are not considered in computing the grade-point average.

Latin Honors

Bachelor’s degrees with honors are awarded to students whose academic records give evidence of particular merit. The student’s grade-point average determines the level of honors as follows: cum laude, 3.4–3.59; magna cum laude, 3.6–3.79; summa cum laude, 3.8–4.0. The grade-point average includes all course work completed at GW. To be eligible for an honors designation, a student must complete at least 60 hours of course work with letter grades (grades included in calculating the grade-point average) at GW.

The grade-point average is calculated by the Office of the Registrar, and the honors designation is entered on the transcript and diploma of those students who earn an honors designation. If Latin honors are entered in the commencement program, honors status will be determined on the basis of work completed by the end of the seventh term and entered only for those students who have completed seven-eighths of the credit hours required for the degree. Latin honors indicated on the diploma are calculated on the basis of all course work completed. The diploma and transcript are the official indication that a degree was conferred and Latin honors awarded.

Special Honors

Special Honors may be awarded by the faculty to any member of the graduating class for outstanding achievement in the student’s major field on recommendation of the major department. The student must fulfill all of the following requirements: (1) Candidacy for Special Honors must be approved by the faculty member representing the major department or field not later than the beginning of the senior year. (2) Such other conditions as may be set at the time the candidacy is approved must be met. (3) At least one-half of the courses required for the degree must have been completed at GW. (4) The specific minimum requirement of the school in which the student is registered must be fulfilled as follows: (a) Columbian College of Arts and Sciences—a grade-point average of 3.0 on all course work taken at GW; (b) the Elliott School of International Affairs—a grade-point average of 3.4 on all course work taken at GW; (c) the School of Public Health and Health Services—a grade-point average of 3.25 on all course work taken at GW. Special Honors awards appear on the transcript.

Double Majors

Students can declare no more than two majors; they can pursue minors or secondary fields in addition to the two majors if they wish but are generally advised against pursuing too many specializations.

Students who graduate with the requisite hours for one degree, having fulfilled the major requirements in more than one department, program, and/or school, will receive one degree. They must select a primary degree and major, as only the primary degree will show on the diploma, along with the two majors.

Students who complete the major requirements in a school other than their own in addition to the major requirements in the school in which they are enrolled (assuming that there is an agreement allowing such between the relevant schools) will receive the degree in the major of their own school and a notation on the transcript and diploma that testifies to completion of requirements for a secondary major. It is understood that requirements of the secondary major do not include the general education requirements of the second school.

Students who complete the major requirements for a degree different from the one they will receive in their own school will receive the degree of the relevant major in their own school. For example, a SEAS student completing the degree requirements for a B.S. in computer science and the major requirements for a B.A. in fine arts will receive a B.S. in computer science with a secondary major in fine arts.

Students who complete two majors in the same school also receive one degree with two majors; if one major leads to a B.A. and one to a B.S., the student must declare a primary major and will receive the degree associated with that major.

Double Degrees

In order to receive two bachelor’s degrees from GW simultaneously, a student must first have applied to and been admitted by the school or college that offers the second degree. To apply for the second degree, the student must have an overall GW grade-point average of at least 3.3 and have not completed more than 90 credits toward graduation. The student must satisfy the general and related requirements for the first degree and the major requirements for both degrees. In the process, the student must complete at least an additional 30 credits, chosen in consultation with the student’s advisor from each major, program, or school, beyond the credits required to earn one degree. At least 90 of the total credits required for the two degrees must be earned at or through the University. Different requirements apply for specific joint degree and dual degree programs.

Graduation Requirements

Degrees are conferred in January, May, and August. To be eligible for graduation a student must have met the admission requirements of the school in which registered; completed satisfactorily the scholarship, curriculum, residence, and other requirements for the degree as stated in this bulletin; filed an application for graduation by the published deadline date; and be free from all indebtedness to the University. Enrollment is required for the semester or summer at the close of which the degree is to be conferred, and all degree requirements must be completed by the last day of final examinations for that semester or summer session. Students who pursue a double major across two schools must complete the primary major in their own school in order to graduate. A second major may supplement the primary major but may not substitute for it.

Participation in the Commencement Ceremony—Participation in the annual commencement ceremony held in May is open to students who have applied to graduate in the current spring semester or who graduated the preceding fall semester or summer session. Students, graduate or undergraduate, who need no more than 9 credit hours to complete their degree requirements, may participate in May commencement ceremonies if there is a reasonable expectation that they will be able to obtain the needed credits during the following summer. The maximum of 9 credit hours is firm and not subject to petition. Summer graduates who elect to attend the preceding May ceremony must apply for graduation no later than February 1. Students who apply after the published deadlines are not guaranteed commencement materials.

Continuous Enrollment Status

Once entered in a degree program, a student is expected to be continuously enrolled and actively engaged in fulfilling the requirements for the degree each semester of the academic year until such time as the degree is conferred. A student is considered to be continuously enrolled when registered for courses through GW or when registered for Continuous Enrollment and engaged in and appropriately registered for activities such as the following, with the prior approval of the school in which the student is enrolled: cooperative work semester; study abroad program; attendance at another institution with prior approval to have work transferred back to the GW program; completion of outstanding work in courses in which a grade of Incomplete or In Progress was received; or non-course instructional activities unique to the particular school. This status is generally limited to one year. Should the student break continuous enrollment at the University and not request and be granted a leave of absence (see below), he or she must apply for readmission and, if granted, be subject to the requirements and regulations then in force.

Leave of Absence

Should a degree student find it necessary to interrupt active pursuit of the degree, he or she may petition the dean for a leave of absence for a specific period of time, generally limited to one calendar year. A degree student who discontinues active enrollment in degree studies without being granted a leave of absence, or a student granted a leave who does not return to active study at the close of the period of approved absence, must apply for readmission and be subject to the regulations and requirements then in force. The right to use of University facilities is suspended while the leave is in effect.

Policy Regarding Students Called to Active Military Duty

Any student who is a member of a military reserve unit or the National Guard and is activated or called to active duty early in a semester or summer session automatically will be entitled to a full refund of all tuition and fees that he or she has paid toward the expenses of that academic term. If the notification of the call to active duty comes after the mid-term examinations or after other substantial graded work has been completed, the student will have the option of either taking a full refund of tuition and fees or taking an Incomplete in his or her courses with the privilege of returning to complete all required course work at some future date without payment of any further tuition and fee charges. It is the responsibility of the student to present evidence of his or her activation to the Office of Student Accounts and to request the appropriate refund.

Should a degree student called up for active duty find it necessary to interrupt active pursuit of the degree, he or she may petition the dean for a leave of absence for a specified period of time, generally limited to one calendar year. Deans are encouraged to grant any request to extend the leave of absence for longer than the customary period should military service require an absence of more than one year. All students on active duty will be automatically exempted from the request for a voluntary library contribution without requiring any communication from them or their initials on the bill.

Complete Withdrawal From the University

A degree-seeking student who wishes to withdraw from all courses during a given semester must complete a Complete Withdrawal Form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. Forms are available on line, at deans’ offices, and in the Office of the Registrar. The deadline for complete withdrawal from all courses without academic penalty is the end of the ninth week of classes. Complete withdrawal after the ninth week requires a petition to the dean.

All charges for courses from which the student withdraws are subject to the refund policy found at the Registrar’s Office website. Failure to complete a Complete Withdrawal Form can result in an extended financial obligation and the recording of grades of F (Failure) or notations of Z (Unauthorized Withdrawal).

The University is authorized to award the degree of Associate in General Studies under designated circumstances. This degree may be awarded to students in good standing who must leave GW after completing 60 credit hours in residence in a degree-granting GW school; students should consult the dean of their school about additional requirements for awarding of the Associate in General Studies.

University Policies and Definitions

University Policy on Equal Opportunity—The George Washington University does not unlawfully discriminate against any person on any basis prohibited by federal law, the District of Columbia Human Rights Act, or other applicable law, including without limitation, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the University, including admission to education programs and employment.

Inquiries concerning this policy and federal and local laws and regulations concerning discrimination in education and employment programs and activities may be directed to the University’s Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action, Suite 320, 2033 K Street NW, Washington DC 20052, (202)994-9656. Inquiries may also be directed to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or the applicable state or local agency (for example, the District of Columbia Office of Human Rights).

Questions regarding protections against discrimination on the basis of sex may be directed to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, the Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion, Rice Hall 813, 2121 Eye Street NW, Washington DC 20052, (202)994-7440.

Questions regarding the protections against discrimination on the basis of disability may be directed to the University’s Disability Services Coordinators. Students may contact the Associate Dean of Students, Administrative Services, Office of the Dean of Students, Rice Hall 401, 2121 Eye Street NW, Washington DC 20052, (202)994-6710, and other members of the university community may contact the Executive Director of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action, Suite 320, 2033 K Street NW, Washington DC 20052, (202)994-9633.

To request disability accommodations, students should contact the Office of Disability Support Services at (202)994-8250 or Employees and other members of the University community should contact the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at (202)994-9656 or

Study Abroad—Undergraduates who wish to study abroad during the academic year should contact the Office for Study Abroad concerning eligibility, appropriate procedures, and requirements for participation. Participants are billed GW charges for study abroad, rather than fees indicated by the visited school or program. To be eligible for the transfer of academic credit from study abroad, GW students must select a program from the University’s authorized list of study abroad programs. Students must have a 2.75 cumulative grade-point average at the time of application and must have completed 45 credit hours prior to departure. Transfer students must complete one full semester at GW prior to application. Students who have a significant disciplinary history or who are on academic or disciplinary probation at the time of application are not eligible to study abroad. All programs of study abroad must be approved on the required forms prior to departure. Non-GW course credits earned in authorized programs with a C or above are transferable toward the appropriate degree at GW, provided there is no duplication of work done previously and faculty have designated each course with a GW course equivalent. Participants agree to abide by all procedures and regulations for study abroad as indicated in the Study Abroad Handbook and Participation Agreement distributed through the Office for Study Abroad. In addition to academic year programs, study abroad is available at varying locations during the summer.

Non-Degree Students—The Office of Non-Degree Students makes main-campus, credit-bearing courses available to those who are not currently degree candidates at this University. Non-degree students are allowed a maximum per semester of 12 credits at the graduate level and 18 at the undergraduate level, except in special circumstances as approved by the director. Medical and law courses are not available to non-degree students.

Non-degree applicants must have appropriate academic preparation prior to enrollment. Prerequisites are specified in this Bulletin either in the course description or as a note preceding course descriptions of a given department. Contact the department concerned for further information regarding appropriate academic background for a particular course. An applicant who has previously attended this or another college or university must be in good standing at that institution. An applicant who has been suspended from any educational institution for poor scholarship will not be eligible to enroll as a non-degree student for one calendar year after the effective date of the suspension. An applicant who has been denied admission within this University will not be eligible to enroll as a non-degree student for the same semester for which the application was denied. Applications and information on registration are available online Prospective and registered students should acquaint themselves with the regulations concerning attendance and withdrawal stated in this section or at

If a non-degree student takes a course for which the symbol I (Incomplete) is assigned, the instructor normally sets a period (maximum of one year) within which the uncompleted work must be made up. An Incomplete that is not changed within one calendar year becomes a grade of IF on the student’s record.

Academic Integrity—The University community, in order to fulfill its purposes, must establish and maintain guidelines of academic behavior. All members of the community are expected to exhibit honesty and competence in their academic work. Incoming students have a special responsibility to acquaint themselves with, and make use of, all proper procedures for doing research, writing papers, and taking examinations. Members of the community will be presumed to be familiar with the proper academic procedures and held responsible for applying them. Deliberate failure to act in accordance with such procedures will be considered academic dishonesty. Acts of academic dishonesty are a legal, moral, and intellectual offense against the community and will be prosecuted through the proper University channels. The University Code of Academic Integrity can be found at

Patent and Copyright Policies—Students who produce creative works or make scientific discoveries while employed or supported by the University or through substantial use of University resources are subject to the University’s patent and copyright policies (see under Intellectual Property).

Human Research Requirements—Students who are planning to conduct research involving the use of human subjects (for a thesis, dissertation, journal article, poster session, etc.) must obtain Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval before collecting any data. In order to receive this approval, contact the Office of Human Research (Ross Hall, Suite 712, 202-994-2715, or see to submit the study for the approval process.

Use of Correct English—A report regarding any student whose written or spoken English in any course is unsatisfactory may be sent by the instructor to the dean of the school, who may assign supplementary work, without academic credit, varying with the needs of the student. If the work prescribed is equivalent to a course, the regular tuition fee is charged. The granting of a degree may be delayed for failure to make up any such deficiency in English to the satisfaction of the dean.

Name of Record—A student’s name of record includes the first name, middle initial or full middle name, and the family name. Nicknames may not be used. The University will change the name of a currently enrolled student on its official records but will require satisfactory evidence of a legal basis for the change. The diploma is awarded under the official name of record at the time of graduation.

Student Status—For the purpose of defining student status, undergraduates taking 12 or more credit hours per semester are considered to be full time, those taking 6 to 11 credits per semester are considered to be half time, and all others are considered to be part time. Generally, a student becomes a sophomore upon completion of 30 credits, a junior upon completion of 60 credits, and a senior upon completion of 90 credits.

Attendance—Students may attend only those classes for which they are officially registered. Regular attendance is expected. Students may be dropped from any course for undue absence. A student suspended for any cause may not attend classes during the period of suspension. Students are held responsible for all of the work of the courses in which they are registered, and all absences must be excused by the instructor before provision is made to make up the work missed.

Credit—Credit is given only after completion of registration in a course and satisfactory completion of the required work, or upon the assignment of advanced standing in accordance with the regulations of the school concerned. Credit that has been applied to the completion of a degree may not subsequently be applied to another degree.

Auditing—A person who has been admitted to the University may be registered, with the permission of the instructor, as an auditor in a class (no academic credit). An auditor is not required to take active part or to pass examinations. A student who takes a course as an auditor may not repeat it later for credit. Tuition is charged at the prevailing rate. A student may not change from audit to credit status or vice versa after the end of the eighth week of classes.

Earning Transfer Credit after Matriculation—Students who plan to attend another institution and apply credit so earned toward graduation from this University must first secure the written approval of their dean. Up to 30 credit hours may be transferred through GW-approved study abroad at non-GW institutions. In addition, as a part of the University residence requirement, no more than 9 credit hours in total can be transferred from colleges or universities after matriculation except by special permission of the appropriate dean. No transfer from two-year institutions is allowed after a student has earned 60 credit hours toward a degree.

Transcripts of Record—Official transcripts of student records are issued upon written request of the student or former student who has paid all charges, including any student loan installments, due the University at the time of the request. A nominal fee is charged for each official transcript. Unofficial copies of transcripts are available to students, by written request, at a nominal fee. Partial transcripts are not issued. Students have access to their unofficial student record through the GWeb Information System.

Student Conduct—All students, upon enrolling and while attending The George Washington University, are subject to the provisions of the Guide to Student Rights and Responsibilities, which outlines student freedoms and responsibilities of conduct, including the Code of Student Conduct, and other policies and regulations as adopted and promulgated by appropriate University authorities. Copies of these documents may be obtained from the Office of the Dean of Students or from the offices of the academic deans. Sanctions for violation of these regulations may include permanent expulsion from the University. Regulations or requirements applicable only to a particular program, facility, or class of students may not be published generally, but such regulations or requirements shall be published in a manner reasonably calculated to inform affected students.

Right to Dismiss Students—The right is reserved by the University to dismiss or exclude any student from the University, or from any class or classes, whenever, in the interest of the student or the University, the University Administration deems it advisable.

Right to Change Rules and Programs—The University reserves the right to modify or change requirements, rules, and fees. Such regulations shall go into force whenever the proper authorities may determine. The right is reserved by the University to make changes in programs without notice whenever circumstances warrant such changes.

University Policy on the Release of Student Information—The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) applies to institutional policies governing access to and release of student education records.

The University may release the following directory information upon request: name, local address including e-mail, and telephone number; name and address of emergency contact; dates of attendance; school of enrollment; field of study; enrollment status; credit hours earned; degrees earned; honors received; participation in University-recognized organizations and activities (including intercollegiate athletics); and height, weight, and age of members of athletic teams, as well as likenesses used in University publications. A student who does not wish such directory information released must file written notice to this effect in the Office of the Registrar.

The University’s full policy statement on the release of student information is published in the Guide to Student Rights and Responsibilities, available in the Office of the Dean of Students or the offices of the academic deans. The full statement also appears on the Registrar’s Office website.

Student Identification Number/Social Security Number—The University has converted from use of the Social Security Number (SSN) to identify records pertaining to individual students, although the SSN is still needed to identify the student for purposes of financial aid eligibility and disbursement and repayment of financial aid and other debts payable to the University. The SSN is required when applying for financial aid. The Internal Revenue Service requires the University to file information that includes a student’s SSN and other information such as the amount paid for qualified tuition, related expenses, and interest on educational loans. This information is used to help determine whether a student, or a person claiming a student as a dependent, may take credit or deduction to reduce federal and/or state income taxes. Many efforts are made to protect the privacy of this number, and a student may request an alternate personal identifier. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Office of the Registrar.

Property Responsibility—The University is not responsible for the loss of personal property. A Lost and Found Office is maintained on campus in the University Police Department.


The George Washington University

© 2013 University Bulletin
The George Washington University All rights reserved.

Information in this bulletin is generally accurate as of fall 2012. The University reserves the right to change courses, programs, fees, and the academic calendar, or to make other changes deemed necessary or desirable, giving advance notice of change when possible.