Contact: Lauren Rose
Richardson Campaign: Announces regional leadership committee
Polk County Residents Join Campaign to Organize for Caucus
DES MOINES, IA --- Five Polk County residents have accepted positions on the Regional Leadership Committee of the Richardson for President campaign. Grocer Denny Johnson, activist Becky Kaiser, activist Suzanne McCauley, copy editor Elizabeth Keest Sedrel and Iowa Democratic Party Third District Central Committee Member John Sprole, all of whom have publicly endorsed Governor Bill Richardson for President, have already worked with the campaign to organize caucus-goers throughout Polk County.
"We as a nation must restore our place of leadership in the world and Bill Richardson is the best-qualified to handle these international relationships with firm diplomacy," said McCauley. "I trust him to lead our country in the right direction, and I am proud to join his leadership team."
As Regional Leaders, Johnson, Kaiser, McCauley, Sedrel and Sprole will act as liaisons between County Chairs in Polk County and the Richardson for President State Leadership Committee. In their efforts to organize and identify support for the January 3rd caucus, they will work closely with campaign staff and volunteers.
"On every issue important to me, Governor Richardson is the only common-sense candidate," Johnson said. "As a veteran, a Christian and a father, I understand that we need to get our troops quickly and safely out of Iraq. On energy, education and countless other issues, he is the only candidate with the experience and leadership ability to bring about the changes this nation so desperately needs. I am proud to join his leadership team."
Johnson, a native Iowan, has worked for 38 years as a grocer in Des Moines, where he lives with his wife and four children. He served for six years in the National Guard and has been a coach for the local Little League for 22 years. He served as President of his church and is now Finance Chair of St John's Lutheran Church. He has been on the Town Home Board in his neighborhood for five years.
Kaiser, a member of the Central Committee, has been very active in volunteer Democratic politics. She lives in Des Moines with her husband of 34 years, where she is a clerk at an insurance company. In her volunteer efforts throughout her community, she asks "If not us, then whom?"
McCauley, a native Iowan, volunteers with the literacy program at Hillis Elementary School in Polk County. She is retired and currently takes classes for seniors with the Ray Society and the Pappajohn Senior Learning Center and is an active member of the Senior Playhouse Radio performance group.
An active member of the Polk County Central Committee since 1976, Sprole is now on the Third District Central Committee. He has been a lawyer in private practice for the last thirty years. He is an Elder at the Covenant Presbyterian church in West Des Moines.
"I know the work and dedication of the Iowans joining my Regional Leadership Committee will have a large impact on caucus night," said Governor Richardson, who recently was nominated for the fifth time for the Nobel Peace Prize. "I am proud and honored to know they are working with me."
"Every day on the campaign trail I see and hear the desire for a Presidential candidate who represents both experience and change," Richardson said. "I am that candidate. As President, on day one I will start solving the very real problems facing our country; I will end the war in Iraq, I will work towards solving our energy crisis and I will make sure that every American has access to universal health care."
Joining Johnson, Kaiser, McCauley, Sedrel and Sprole on the Richardson for President Iowa Regional Leadership team are:
* Kathy Mahoney - Lawyer (Black Hawk)
* Helen Van Hoozer - Former Media Specialist, Democratic Activist (Muscatine)
* Sherry Toelle - Social Worker (Cass)
* Stacey Brewer - Retired Correctional Officer, Retail Loss Prevention Agent (Tama)
* Beverly Frevert - Educator (Appanoose)
* Elsie Ulland - Special Education Teacher, Activist (Jasper)
* Karin Hill - Marshall County Democratic Chair, Businesswoman (Marshall)
* Richard Inman - Retired Teacher, At-Large Member of the Fort Dodge City Council (Webster)
* Peggy O'Neill - Human Services Director (Warren)
* Jane Nagy - Winnebago County Central Committee Member, Teacher (Winnebago)
* Suzanne Morrow - Administrator, Democratic Activist (Buena Vista)
* Jody Ewing - Author, Democratic Activist (Monona)
* Lynne Brock - Vietnam Veteran (Pottawattamie)
Last week, the Richardson for President campaign announced the Statewide Leadership Committee. That list includes:
* Governor Robert Fulton - Attorney (Waterloo)
* State Representative Marcie Frevert - Retired Teacher (Emmetsburg)
* Former State Representative Brian Carter - Professor (Mount Pleasant)
* City Councilman Matt Bemrich - Master Electrician (Fort Dodge)
* Mary Bro - Businesswoman (Little Sioux)
* Kenneth Briggs - Pastor, Vietnam War Veteran (Clive)
* Linda Chavez - Secretary of Linn County Democrats, Activist (Cedar Rapids)
* International Representative Tad Gusta - International Brotherhood Electrical Workers (Cedar Rapids)
* Nathan Huss - Student, Iraq War Veteran (Davenport)
* Brandi McCauley - Activist (Des Moines)
* David Neas - Teacher, State Central Committee Member (Osceola)