Image of the Tempietto in Kogan Plaza during cherry blossom season

Apply for Financial Assistance

Applying for assistance at The George Washington University is an important step in preparing for undergraduate and graduate study.

Learn how to apply for Undergraduate Financial Assistance

Types of Funding & Assistance

The George Washington University provides a number of ways for incoming students to fund graduate study.


Assistantships are departmental merit awards that require up to 20 hours of work per week.

Fellowships and Scholarships 

To fund masters and doctoral study, GW provides many fellowships and scholarships carrying tuition awards and/or stipends based on academic achievement.

Research Funding

Many academic departments with research grants from outside sponsors offer both research assistant positions and research traineeships to graduate students in specific fields. Some departments also have graduate research assistantships funded by GW.

Federal Work-Study

U.S. citizens applying for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan may qualify for need-based Federal Work-Study awards.

Loan Options

The Office of Student Financial Assistance offers financial aid in the form of the Federal Direct Stafford Loan, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan and private alternative loans to students who have been admitted to one of our graduate degree or approved graduate certificate programs. For descriptions of the loan programs, as well as an overview of the process involved in applying for these types of loans, please click here for more information.

Other Types of Financial Assistance

The George Washington University has a wide range of options for assisting with financing graduate study.

Yellow Ribbon Initiative 2009GW supports veterans

Yellow Ribbon Initiative

GW will participate in the new federal Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program, under which the University will help cover the cost of tuition for veterans for college-bound post 9/11 Vets.