Health Intervention and Disaster Response Program

While bachelor’s programs are common across emergency services and disaster management, an undergraduate program that offers a global focus supported by applied science coursework provides a unique option for civil affairs medics seeking to build on their existing academic, military, and training experiences. Civilians and other military personnel are encouraged to apply if they have international health care experience.

Graduate Study

The George Washington University offers more than 200 master's, doctoral and graduate certificate programs designed to fit the unique needs of our students. With numerous locations throughout Washington, D.C., Virginia, and Maryland, you can find the program that is right for you.  

Summer Sessions

Summer classes at the George Washington University provide a unique opportunity to earn academic credit from a top-ranked university, learn from superb faculty, and take advantage of the extraordinary educational and cultural resources of Washington, D.C. Open to undergraduates, graduates, and visiting students, summer classes are offered in compressed 6, 8, 10 and 14-week sessions during the day, in the evening, and online, so you can integrate coursework into your busy lifestyle.

Summer Sessions Website

Visit the Summer Sessions website for complete information about summer options, including:

Virginia Science and Technology Campus

The GW Virginia Science and Technology Campus, established in 1991, is strategically located in the Northern Virginia technology corridor near Dulles International Airport.

The Campus focuses on interdisciplinary STEM-H research, including biological and health sciences, big data and analytics, high performance computing and energy science and technology. Faculty, graduate students, research scientists, along with government and corporate partners, advance the frontiers of knowledge and discovery.

The Campus is a leader in the innovative delivery of education to the non-traditional 21st century learner. Degree and certificate programs are offered by seven of GW’s schools and colleges, including programs in nursing, engineering, education, health sciences, information technology, business and public relations.  Many programs are designed to meet the needs of professional students with evening, weekend and online courses. 

Ranked among the nation's top nursing schools by U.S. News & World ReportGW School of Nursing has its home and a vibrant presence at VSTC. The School of Nursing's Skills and Simulation Laboratories at VSTC are sophisticated learning environments utilized by GW undergraduate and graduate nursing students, as well as community partners.

Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon Campuses

Foggy Bottom

Since 1912, GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus has been a part of the historic Foggy Bottom neighborhood, only blocks from the White House, U.S. Department of State, World Health Organization, John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the World Bank, as well as museums, galleries and corporate headquarters. The University capitalizes on its location to deliver an unrivaled educational experience that draws nearby international, governmental and cultural resources into the classroom, attracts adjunct faculty from the top ranks of public and private institutions and facilitates exceptional research, internship and career opportunities for its students.

The Foggy Bottom Campus includes more than 100 campus buildings on 42 acres in the heart of Washington, D.C. and is home to more than 200 doctoral, masters and graduate certificate programs. Fields of study are wide-ranging, innovative and, often, interdisciplinary. 

Mount Vernon Campus

The Mount Vernon Campus, spread over 25 acres, is in Washington’s wooded Foxhall neighborhood, surrounded by homes, embassies, diplomatic residences and the Kreeger Museum of Art. Connected to the Foggy Bottom Campus by a 24-hour shuttle service, it houses science labs, extensive athletic facilities and six undergraduate residence halls. The campus is home to the graduate programs in forensic sciences and interior design.

Other Washington, D.C. Locations

  • Next to the Foggy Bottom Campus, the K Street Center for Professional Education, at 2020 K St. NW in Washington, D.C., is home to graduate programs in landscape design and paralegal studies.
  • GW’s legislative affairs program has been offered in the Hall of States building on Capitol Hill for several decades.

Research Scholarships and Fellowships

The George Washington University drives academic excellence through scholarships and fellowships that inspire outstanding achievement, create opportunities for advanced learning and reward our students’ extraordinary commitment and hard work. Merit-based scholarships and research fellowships enable GW students to explore new frontiers in their fields of study, both within the University and beyond.

Presidential Scholars in the Arts

GW’s arts community provides abundant opportunities to blend theoretical and intellectual exposure to the arts through various forms of expression. Each year the Departments of Fine Arts and Art History, the Department of Music and the Department of Theatre and Dance further extend these opportunities to Presidential Scholars in the Arts—freshmen who show exceptional promise in the fine arts, music, theater, technical theater, directing, dance and choreography. In addition to receiving financial assistance, scholarship recipients work with inspiring faculty members while taking full advantage of our nation’s most important museums, galleries, stages and arts organizations.

Luther Rice Collaborative Fellowships

The Rice Fellowships promote discovery-based education by supporting student-initiated research: a significant, focused examination of an idea or area of inquiry that results in work that could merit scholarly presentation or publication. Carried out with the collaboration and guidance of at least one faculty member, fellowships may take place over weeks or semesters, with or without association with a credit-bearing course, during students’ junior or senior years.

Gamow Research Awards

The Gamow Research Fellowships nurture the careers of talented and promising sophomores and juniors in all of GW’s schools by funding meaningful, mentored research experiences. The fellowships fund proposals submitted by students jointly with a faculty member to conduct research, scholarship or creative activity in the humanities and creative arts, social sciences, sciences and engineering or professional fields.

Hughes Scholarship Program

The Hughes Scholarship Program introduces students—including freshmen—to the field of bioinformatics, a blend of biology and computer science linked to physics, chemistry and engineering. The program offers summer internships in mentored research with GW faculty who explore cutting-edge interdisciplinary science.

Kiev Writing Prize

The annual Kiev Writing Prize recognizes an outstanding research paper by an undergraduate student whose work substantially relies on the Gelman Library’s I. Edward Kiev Judaica Collection. Funded by the Kiev Family Trust, the prize is awarded each fall for a paper completed the previous spring.

Cotlow Research Awards

The Cotlow Research Awards support GW students’ anthropological research around the world. While open to all undergraduate and graduate students, continuing students in anthropology majors and concentrations receive preference. Recipients receive funding for travel and other expenses related to field research. They present their findings at the annual Cotlow Conference.

Research Experience for Undergraduates

GW has developed a variety of research programs that give undergraduates hands-on, professional research experience. For example, the Biology Department’s Summer Undergraduate Research Program, sponsored by the National Science Foundation, begins with an intensive weeklong workshop in molecular biology and bioinformatics, followed by nine weeks of mentored, cross-disciplinary laboratory research on GW’s campus and throughout the Washington area. The undergraduate research program in the School of Business cultivates and supports research partnerships between undergraduate students and faculty members, allowing them to initiate and conduct research on a topic of interest, work as part of the team on a faculty member’s research project or participate in a case competition requiring intensive research.

Undergraduate Fellowships

The Center for Undergraduate Fellowships and Research assists all GW undergraduates interested in pursuing national fellowships that recognize academic and extracurricular excellence. These fellowships provide remarkable opportunities for both academic study and career advancement in a host of professional fields.

Programs For Entering Freshmen

Freshman year is a time of discovery and change for all the George Washington University students but, for a select group, the experience is heightened by programs that are tailored to the students’ greatest intellectual passions. These programs blend or deepen study in diverse subject areas, creating a distinctive context for course work and forging an intellectual community for students with shared academic goals.

We encourage incoming freshmen with special interests to apply to a program designed to enhance and expand their academic experience.

Combined Degree Programs

GW’s combined degree programs offer exceptional students with a clear sense of direction an opportunity to accelerate their studies through compressed coursework. This reduces the number of years required to earn an advanced degree.

Women’s Leadership Program

During the Women's Leadership Program, a yearlong residential experience, participants examine issues related to women's leadership—its nature, expression and exercise—in intellectual, artistic, social, political and technological contexts.

Scholars in Quantitative and Natural Sciences

This program offers a specialized, integrated approach to scientific research and engagement for students interested in biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, mathematics or statistics.

Dean’s Scholars in Shakespeare

Students in this program delve into the study and performance of Shakespeare’s works, enjoying specially tailored introductory courses, guest artists, lectures and programs—both in Washington and in London during spring break.

Summer Opportunities

The George Washington University offers rich resources for students from both GW and other universities who want to make the most of their summer months. GW Summer Sessions offer courses on campus, online and abroad. With a campus literally steps from the White House, State Department, World Bank, Kennedy Center of the Performing Arts, Smithsonian Institution and dozens of other cultural and international organizations, GW provides unparalleled opportunities to study and enrichment.

On Campus

On campus, GW offers nearly than 700 courses in 70 different disciplines. These are compressed into intensive six, eight, 10 and 14-week sessions. Courses are offered in flexible formats and times that include both daytime and evening hours, to accommodate the most busy summer schedules. You can easily pair summer study with work, internships and other summer activity.


Taught by GW’s acclaimed faculty, online courses integrate innovative, interactive teaching tools and work with any schedule at any location so students can accommodate other summer activities, such as internships.

Short-Term Abroad

GW offers a broad spectrum of short-term summer abroad programs from one week to two months in more than two dozen of the world’s most fascinating locations.

Summer Institutes

Summer Institutes are thematically-related courses that draw on site visits, seminars and guest lectures to immerse students in a specific subject area.

Semester In Washington

Semester in Washington offers students from other universities the opportunity to study and intern for a semester in Washington, DC. Students may choose to focus on politics or journalism.