GW Steps Challenge
NO ENTRY FEE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Description. The GW Steps Challenge (the “Contest”) is an opportunity for current members of the GW community - faculty, staff, and students - to participate in a walking challenge. Participants can compete by (i) setting up a Matchup account at gwu.matchup.io, (ii) joining a GW team challenge, (iii) connecting a compatible step tracking device to the account, and (vi) participating in the Contest from October 1st through October 29th. A Division of External Relations staff member will review the results of the Contest, that will be provided by Matchup, and award the prizes to the individual participant with the highest head-to-head win record and the team with the highest cumulative step average.
2. Eligibility. The Contest is open to any person who is eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of participation, including GW faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends of the university. The Contest is void where prohibited or otherwise restricted by law, rule, or regulation. All applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
3. How to Enter and Qualify. To enter and qualify for prizes, entrants must (i) set up a Matchup account at gwu.matchup.io, (ii) join a GW team challenge, (iii) connect a step tracking device to the account, and (vi) participate in the Contest from October 1st through October 29th.
The period to sign up for the Contest and create a Matchup account will begin September 17, 2015, at 12:00 AM EST and end September 30, 2015, at 11:59 PM EST (“Submission Period”). Only submissions posted during the Submission Period will be considered for the contest.
4. Selection of Winners. A Division of External Relations staff member will select and award prizes to the individual participant with the highest head-to-head win record and the team with the highest cumulative step average. In the event that there is a tie between individual participants with identical head-to-head win records, the individual with the highest daily step average will be awarded the prize. The selection of the individual and team winner will be at the discretion of the Division of External Relations staff member. Winners will be notified no later than Friday, October 30, 2015, at 11:59 PM EST by public announcement at the GW 2015 Celebration of Excellence: The Wellness Equation or by email.
5. Prizes. There will be one (1) individual winner and one (1) winning team among the entrants who competed in the Contest. The individual participant winner will receive an Apple Watch with a value of $350. The winning team will receive a catered lunch from Beefsteak with a value of $8 per participant of the winning team.
All federal, state, local, and other taxes associated with the acceptance and use of the prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. There are no prize substitutions or options available. No prize recipient shall be permitted to replace his/her designated prize with another prize or item or redeem his/her prize or any portion of the prize for cash. Prizes are not transferable. GW reserves the right, exercisable at any time in its sole discretion, to substitute a prize (or portion thereof) of comparable or greater value if any advertised prize becomes unavailable. All prize details are at GW’s sole discretion.
6. Winner Notification. Prize winners will be notified by public announcement at the GW 2015 Celebration of Excellence: The Wellness Equation on Friday, October 30, 2015, or by email on Friday, October 30, 2015, by 11:59 PM EST. GW will attempt to notify the individual winner and department of the winning team on November 2, 2015. GW will make three (3) notification attempts over a seven (7) day period and if the winner and/or department is not reachable and does not respond to the notification, that winner and/or department will be disqualified and, at GW’s discretion, a runner-up may be notified.
Additionally, if a potential winner is found to be ineligible or if he/she does not comply with these Official Rules, such potential winner will be disqualified and, at GW’s discretion, an applicable runner-up will be notified. All entrants agree to comply fully with each provision in these Official Rules. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with this Contest and any person who does not comply with these Official Rules, will be ineligible for any prize(s). If, during either the entry period, for reasons beyond the GW’s control, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, GW, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest, without liability and to the extent feasible, will determine winners and award prizes among entries received prior to cancellation or modification. GW is not responsible for Internet, computer hardware and software, phone, and other technical errors, malfunctions, and delays.
7. License. By participating, all entrants grant to GW an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully paid-up royalty free license to the submission data created and submitted during participation in the Contest with the right to use, make, have made, produce, reproduce, copy, and distribute for any non-commercial or academic purpose, in the United States and throughout the world.
8. Release of Liability and Issues of Law. By participating, all entrants and voters release GW and its respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, “Released Parties”) from any and all liability with respect to and in any way arising from participating in this Contest and/or acceptance or use of any prize. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, inconsistent, damaged, inaccurate, stolen, delayed, undelivered, or garbled submissions; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, internet service provider, website; or for other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the submission, or the announcement of the prizes. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to any person's computer or tracking device related to or resulting from participating in this Contest. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest, who act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by GW, will be disqualified. Should any portion of the Contest be, in GW’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the GW, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, GW reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify, or terminate the Contest and, if terminated, at its discretion and to the extent possible, determine winners from all eligible submissions received prior to action.
This Promotion is governed by all applicable Federal, state and local laws and regulations are applicable. THE LOCAL AND FEDERAL COURTS OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THE PROMOTION AND THE LAWS OF THE ENTER STATE NAME SHALL GOVERN THE PROMOTION. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THOSE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS.
9. Communications. If you have any questions or comments regarding the Contest, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
 Matchup currently offers cross device compatibility by connecting fitness trackers from Fitbit, Jawbone, Withings, Garmin, Misfit, and The Moves App (iOS and Android). See https://matchup.io.