Image of the Tempietto in Kogan Plaza during cherry blossom season

Take a Class


The Office of Non-Degree Students makes credit-bearing courses available to those who are not currently degree candidates at GW and students who have been admitted to the University for a future semester. Applicants who have been suspended from any educational institution for poor scholarship or who are not in good standing at their current or prior institution will not be eligible to enroll as a non-degree student for one calendar year after the effective date of the suspension.  An applicant who has been denied admission to a degree or certificate program at GW will also not be eligible to enroll as a non-degree student for the same semester for which the application was denied. 


Non-Degree Audiences

Students who wish to take a course or courses, and are not applying to a special non-degree program, should follow the step-by-step process described on Enrolling as a Non-Degree Student and select “General Study” on the application form. 

Please review the relevant sections below if you

  • Are considering applying to a degree program,

  • Are a visiting student from another college or university,

  • Are an international student, or

  • Plan to enroll at GW as part of a special non-degree program.

  • Have previously, or are planning to take Corcoran Continuing Education courses


Prospective Degree Program ApplicantsVisiting Students
International StudentsSpecial Programs | Corcoran Continuing Education

Prospective Degree Program Applicants

If you are considering applying for a GW degree or certificate program, please carefully review the transfer credit policies for the school and program in which you’re interested.  Most programs will transfer only a limited number of credits taken non-degree into a degree or certificate program.  Please note that successfully completing non-degree coursework is no guarantee that you will be accepted to a program or, if accepted, that the coursework will apply toward the degree or certificate.

Visiting Students

Students interested in taking classes to transfer back to a program of study at another college or university are welcome to register as a non-degree student at GW.  Before applying for non-degree status, you should review your home institution’s policies to ensure the course will be eligible to transfer to your degree program.

Students enrolled at member institutions of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area who wish to register for courses at GW should review the following website: Consortium Students.

International Students

International students are eligible to apply for non-degree status at GW, but the University cannot provide you with an I-20 or DS-2019 visa form unless you have been admitted to a program.

International students who wish to study at GW during the summer semester should enroll through the International Summer at GW program.

If your native language is not English or you are not a citizen of a country where English is the official language, you must submit official scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the academic

International English Language Testing System (IELTS).  The minimum scores required are:

  • 600 on the paper-based TOEFL, or

  • 100 on the Internet-based TOEFL, or

  • an overall band score of 7.0 on IELTS, with no individual score below 6.0

English language test scores (TOEFL and IELTS) may not be more than two years old.

Exceptions may be made for applicants who hold a degree from a high school or university located in a country in which English is the official language and also the language of instruction at the school or university.

Special Programs

GW welcomes a number of special groups of students who are registered in non-degree status.  If you plan to enroll at the University as part of any of the programs listed below, please click on the link provided for application instructions.

Corcoran Continuing Education

As of Fall 2014, Corcoran Continuing Education students will enroll in coursework through the Office of Non-Degree Students at The George Washington University. By enrolling as a non-degree student in the General Study program, students are able to take all GW coursework available to visiting students, including Corcoran Continuing Education courses. Even if you have previously taken Corcoran Continuing Education courses, all students interested in this option must first apply to be non-degree students at GW. Please visit the links below to find out more.