Student Services & Activities
The Cloyd Heck Marvin Center is the hub of the Foggy Bottom Campus, home to the GW Bookstore, the Center for Student Engagement, food services, recreational facilities, the Cafritz Foundation Conference Center and Colonial Central GW’s one-stop student service center.
Graduate students come to the George Washington University not only for outstanding research and study opportunities but also for the rich offerings of the Washington metropolitan area and our vibrant student life. Our mission is to ensure that all students connect with the resources, organizations and events that make GW a unique institution.
The Grad Life Web site offers comprehensive information for meeting the non-academic needs and interests of our graduate and professional students, including:
- Housing information
- A calendar of upcoming events on campus
- Information on graduate student organizations
- Tips for getting involved with GW
The Academic Success and Professional Development Series, is a group of workshops that cover various topics to assist graduate students with their success in graduate school.
The Directory of Student Organizations reflects our students’ diverse interests, causes and extracurricular activities.
The Center for Student Engagement serves as the focal point for a variety of student opportunities, including university-wide events, student organizations and involvement in mentoring and community services. One of its most popular programs, TRAiLS, organizes outdoor excursions, from hiking to caving and from surfing to kayaking, while coordinating service projects that promote environmental awareness and protection.
Other student services include:
- Child Care Services – offered by the Bright Horizons Children’s Center
- Counseling Center – for assistance with personal, social, career and study problems that can interfere with educational and career goals
- Food services – options that complement off-campus dining
- GW Bookstore
- Career and Employment Services - The GW Career Center provides a variety of career and employment resources to GW graduate students. Additionally, a number of schools offer career services to students enrolled in their programs.
- International Services Office – information, advice, counseling, and assistance for international students, researchers, faculty and short-term visitors and their families
- Multicultural Student Services Center – offering diversity services, programs, resources and initiatives that focus on cultural education, student retention, academic achievement and cross-cultural competencies
- Recreation Facilities – located at both the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campus
- Student Health Service – a comprehensive center for health care, medical evaluation and treatment and for referral for outpatient problems
- Writing Center – providing peer tutors to assist with all kinds of writing projects, including course papers, theses, speeches and scientific reports
- Safety and Security - GW is committed to helping all members of our community provide for their own safety and security. From the strategic placement of blue-light emergency phones on campus to emergency medical response, transportation services and victim assistance, GW works to maintain and enhance the safety and security of our campuses.