American Red Cross Mobile Applications
Washington, DC, Aug 1, 2012: The American Red Cross launched its official Hurricane App, putting lifesaving information right in the hands of people who live in or who visit hurricane prone areas.
This free app is the second in a series to be created by the American Red Cross for use on both iPhone and Android platforms. It gives instant access to local and real time information on what to do before, during and after hurricanes. The app also includes a number of features that allow people to monitor personalized weather alerts in locations where family and friends reside and to share information with others in their social networks who might also need it.
App features include:
- One touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm’s way;
- Location-based NOAA weather alerts for the United States and its territories users can share on social networks
- Remote monitoring of personalized weather alerts where family and friends reside
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters;
- Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan;
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps even without mobile connectivity;
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm; and
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
The Hurricane App follows the recently released Red Cross First Aid App which has had nearly 600,000 downloads in just six weeks. The Hurricane and First Aid Apps can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross.
Read More About the First Aid and Hurricane Applications
American Red Cross Press Release. “New Hurricane App Brings Red Cross Safety Information to Smart Phones”, August 1, 2012. Accessed electronically August 3, 2012.