If you would like to register for a course at The George Washington University and are not enrolled in a degree or certificate program, you need to apply to be a non-degree student. A variety of courses are open to non-degree students at GW’s Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon, and Virginia Science & Technology campuses, as well as online and at other off-campus and contracted sites.
How to Enroll as a Non-Degree Student
The following are the steps required to enroll as a non-degree student at GW.
1. Review the information on courses at GW to learn about GW’s course numbering system and general limitations on non-degree enrollment.
2. Search the Schedule of Classes to identify the course or courses in which you with to enroll. Make note of the course(s) dates, time, location, and any course-related fees.
3. Apply for admission as a non-degree student. Select “General Study” if you are not applying to one of the special non-degree programs listed on the application.
There are no application deadlines for applying for non-degree status. However, the number of non-degree students eligible to enroll in a particular semester may be limited, and registering after the first day of the semester will incur a late registration fee. The Office of Non-Degree Students will review your application and send you an e-mail indicating whether you are eligible to enroll as a non-degree student.
4. As soon as you receive confirmation of your eligibility to register as a non-degree student, use the GWID provided in the e-mail to create your GW NetID and GW e-mail account. The NetID is required to access GW systems, and the GW e-mail will be the address to which the GW sends all official communications, including your e-bill.
5. Enroll in the course(s) you have selected by following the registration instructions included in the e-mail confirming your non-degree status.
- You will be able to register through GW’s online system (GWeb), unless the class falls under one of the other types of courses listed under Functions Not Available on GWeb.
- If you are unable to register online, you will need to follow the process for paper registration, using either the Registration Transaction Form –EZ (RTF-EZ) or the standard Registration Transaction Form (RTF). Guidelines for both forms are available on the Office of the Registrar’s website.
NOTE: Full information about creating a schedule and registering for class are provided online. If you have problems registering, please call the Office of the Registrar at (202) 994-4900 during office hours. Be sure to have your GWID number ready.
6. Acquire a GW ID card from the GWorld Office.
8. Prepare for class:
- Log-on to Blackboard, GW’s online course management system.
- Check the GW Bookstore to see if course materials are available.
- Find your class location(s) on the campus maps.
If you need to make adjustments to your schedule:
As described under Tuition, Fees, Billing & Refunds, Adjustments to your schedule may incur tuition charges and/or fees. Adding and dropping courses as even exchange is possible without financial loss if both transaction requests are made during the same class week and are for an equal number of credit hours