The George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum
The George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum will span the historic Woodhull House and a new 46,000 square foot building under construction at the corner of 21st and G Streets, adjacent to University Yard. The Textile Museum’s internationally known collection will be a cornerstone of the new museum, joining university art holdings and the Washingtoniana Collection in one location under the umbrella of the George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum.
Built by Maxwell Woodhull in 1855, Woodhull House was donated to the university in 1921 by his son General Maxwell Van Zandt Woodhull, a university trustee and benefactor who was influential in the university’s decision to move to Foggy Bottom.
To download images, click on thumbnail. In pop-up window, right click on large image and choose "save as" or "save image as."
21st Street Perspective (East)
21st Street Perspective (North)
G Street Perspective
21st Street Perspective (Southeast)
21st Street Elevation
G Street Elevation
University Yard Elevation
An art and cultural center for learning at GW
Two state-of-the-art facilities: A new museum four blocks from the White House. A conservation and resource center in Loudoun County, Virginia
Construction will take place between 2012 and 2014
The GW Museum includes:
The Textile Museum, with a world-renowned collection of over 18,000 textiles; a 20,000 volume research library; and a distinguished history of ground breaking exhibitions, publications, and public programs
The Albert H. Small Washingtoniana Collection and Center for National Capital Area Studies which describe the history and development of Washington, D.C.
Space for academic and scholarly activity and public lectures
A groundbreaking ceremony on the Foggy Bottom Campus was will be held Oct. 18, 2012
Excavation will occur during winter 2012
The project will reach ground level in spring 2013
The structure will reach its highest point in late spring or early summer 2013