Greek Life has been part of GW for over 150 years and it remains one of our most enduring traditions. The men and women of GW’s fraternities and sororities are committed to succeeding at academics, volunteering in the community, developing and strengthening their leadership skills, and forming networks that reach far beyond the campus boundaries.
Greek Life is part of a balanced undergraduate experience. It is a great way to create a sense of home within the boundaries of GW and Washington, D.C. The friendship, leadership, scholarship, community service, philanthropy, and brotherhood/sisterhood that characterize Greek life complement your classroom experience. It’s about being part of a special community of nearly 2,300 undergraduate Greek-affiliated students on campus. It’s about engaging the GW and Washington communities through service and social functions. It’s about traditions and forging lifelong friendships.
Fraternity and sorority members at GW are involved in virtually every student organization. They perform thousands of hours of community service. They write for campus newspapers. They serve in leadership positions with the Student Association and Program Board, on University Hearing Boards, and as CI Cabinet members. They are varsity athletes, they have internships, they spend semesters overseas, and much more. Their chapter membership allows them to share those experiences with a closely knit group. Fraternity or sorority memberships can enhance the GW experience and connect students deeply to a community.
Fast facts about GW Greek Life:
- There are 42 national fraternities and sororities. Of this number, 15 are culturally based Greek organizations
- They have about 2,300 members (approximately 25 percent of undergraduates)
- They raised more than $225,000 for charity in 2010/2011
- Seven chapters were recognized as being among the top chapters in their national organizations in 2010
- They establish lifelong friendships and networks
- They provide opportunities for community service
- They foster rich social experiences and activities