In March 2007, PNC Bank generously donated to George Washington University more than 1,200 ledgers and 200 boxes of historic records documenting the workings of one of the city's longest-running economic powerhouses.
The PNC-Riggs Bank Archive records the role of Riggs Bank within the Washington D.C. area from 1839 through the mid-Twentieth century. The gift greatly augments the University’s existing Washingtoniana Collections, which document the city’s political, economic, social, and cultural history. These collections are housed in the Special Collections Research Center of GW’s Gelman Library.
Starting in June 2007 and continuing through Summer 2008, GW’s Special Collections Research Center will work to inventory, process, and create special storage space for the collection. The PNC Foundation has provided the Gelman Library with a $125,000 gift to assist in the transfer, preparation, and installation of this invaluable academic resource.